Friday, November 28, 2014

The Wings I Must Cut



The Mars Volta's fifth (of six) studio album, 2009's OCTAHEDRON




This magnificent album I feel lucky to possess, it comes in white die hard 
limited-edition vinyl, get yours while you still can.   A sonic experiment
which goes far beyond crossover, the eight tracks on this octahedral listen
will surely keep you spellbound for a lifetime.  


Originating from the post-punk alternative band At The Drive In, it's altogether appropriate that the Mars Volta should find their way into this blog.   

See, I decided that, even though I'm going to go through all my punk albums alphabetically here (and we haven't even gotten to Bad Brains yet) every once in a while or every so often I'll interpose with whatever I happen to be listening to at the time.  

That way it keeps the blog more varied, updated, and interesting; and also let's you die hard core punks know what sorts of stuff I'm sneakin' in and getting away with.  Just keepin' it fresh.  

This is a brilliant band who left their mark between the years 2003 and 2012,
nine years interlaced by six albums whose impact has probably only been felt
by the die hard fans because it's that far ahead of its time.  Encoded with star-
flung brilliance through and through, this music is sure to boomerang back with
a vengeance, generations after my generation's all long buried.   


p.S.

I first saw the Mars Volta perform live when they toured with A Perfect Circle.
Lucky for me I always get GA/Floor (even if stuck with a seat, ever heard of bumrushing the floor).

In any case all the unfortunate peeps stuck in the rear bleachers walked away with the (faint) impression the Mars Volta sucked live, well that's because by the time their Sound reached those ears, yeah I can imagine it would have muddied up a bit.  Well I at least can testify that right up directly in front of the band, the sound we were enveloped in was nothing short of an astonishing amalgamation of every sort of pre- and post-musical expressionism chaotically brewing together into a preliminary maelstrom of rock'n'roll fusing into what I like to think of as a 'punk blues' sort of thing.

There's really no other band out there like 'em.  I'm pretty ascertaining of myself when I suggest there will be a three-stage period of time now while we mourn their passing which, at the completion of, you may rest assured they will return in a resurrected glory for a seventh album, mark my sigils.


No comments:

Post a Comment